As fun as it may be to bring out old holiday decorations, toys, and other nostalgic artifacts, it can also pose dangers. We all know about the classic dangers that Christmas time can bring, like being careful with real Christmas trees indoors, Christmas lights overheating and posing dangers, but nobody ever talks about asbestos-containing holiday products you probably own. You know, the ones that are buried in boxes in your basement that you bring out every year? Or maybe you haven’t brought it out in a while, and are excited to this year.
Let’s take a look at 5 asbestos-containing holiday products you probably own, are getting use out of or will start using this year.
Old Electric Blankets
During the times when asbestos was used, electric blankets were stuffed with asbestos to insulate them. Asbestos was a great fire-resistant fibre, so it was used in many products that may have been prone to catching fire or overheating. If you know the year it was manufactured and still see the label and notice that it was made between the 1930s and 1960s, it’s probably best to discard it and replace it with a new one.
Some toys manufactured during that same time period may have been laced with asbestos, being highly, highly dangerous to children. Do your research on the old toys you have lying around and if not particularly nostalgic or holding value, it’s best to discard them.
Old Christmas decorations are notorious for being covered or insulated with asbestos fibres. Tree decorations passed down from grandparents that look like they have a layer of crystallized snow on top of them are especially dangerous and should be discarded immediately.
Fireproof Mits and Gloves
Being safe during the holiday season is essential when building fires or putting up decorations. During the time of asbestos, it was used to insulate gloves and provide a fireproof barrier. If you own an older pair of fireproof gloves, it’s a good idea to replace them with new, safe ones to have around your family and children.
Old Heating Appliances
Popcorn poppers, hot plates, wires and crockpots are a small fraction of the kitchen gadgets that were insulated with the fireproof fibres of asbestos. It’s always best to replace these old gadgets after checking the dates of their manufacture, with new ones to stay on the safer side. Make family movie night safe.
If you have old asbestos-containing holiday products that require safe discarding, get in touch with BC Green. We can tell you how to safely dispose of them and what we can do to help keep you and your family safe this holiday season.