Mold is basically everywhere. You can find it on a 5 day-old sandwich, on your walls and in particularly humid places. Even though it’s so widespread, common and absolutely normal, not all mold is harmless – some of it can cause severe conditions, damage and symptoms making mold removal Vancouver absolutely essential.
Let’s take a look at some common mold and whether or not it’s dangerous when it comes to indoor air quality.
Mold can be classified into 3 categories:
- Allergenic: Molds that cause irritation, inflammation and allergic reactions.
- Pathogenic: Molds that cause health problems in people who already have an illness.
- Toxigenic: Molds that are highly toxic and even deadly.
Stachybotrys (Black Mold)
Otherwise known as black mold, Stachybotrys mold is one of the most dangerous types of mold. It can cause diarrhea, flu-like symptoms, headaches, skin rashes, wheezing and even respiratory damage. Children are at a particularly higher risk of developing conditions associated with black mold as their lungs are still developing.
Black mold is dark, almost black, but it can also have a dark grey or green colour. Its smell is musty and can be found in damp areas of homes like bathrooms or basements, requiring mold removal Vancouver.
This type of mold thrives in dark, wet environments, making it a common occurrence in homes that have experienced water damage. It can create symptoms like watery, red eyes, difficulty breathing, wheezing and headaches along with a long list of other symptoms and even neurological damage. It’s essential that you seek out the help of a professional if you notice your home has black mold.
This is a common household mold that can take various colours. It’s generally an allergenic mold, however, it can also become more toxic depending on the species and its environment. It can lead to asthma attacks, lung infections and respiratory conditions or inflammation.
This type of mold grows in warm and cold conditions, commonly thriving in indoor fabric materials like upholsteries and carpets. Because this is also an allergenic mold, it can cause allergic reactions with typical symptoms like red irritated eyes, and reactions in the throat and on the skin.
If you live in a place where you regularly have the HVAC running, it’s common for mucor mold to grow in thick patches around HVAC systems and ducting because of condensation. It’s often white or slightly gray in colour and will be fairly difficult to spot, so you should take time to inspect these areas of your home carefully.
If you’re concerned about your home having mold, please get in touch with us to schedule an on-site inspection for mold removal Vancouver. Your family’s health is our topmost priority.