While some of us have heard about lead being toxic or dangerous, most don’t give it that much thought when it comes to its presence in the home. Homes built before the late 1970s are at risk for having lead, especially lead-contaminated paint, making lead paint removal Vancouver absolutely critical. So, what is lead exactly?
Lead is a highly toxic metal that can cause a whole host of health problems through exposure. When absorbed into the body, it can damage the brain, kidneys, nerves and even the blood. Long-term exposure to lead can also cause other conditions like behavioural problems, learning disabilities and death.
What Are the Symptoms of Lead Poisoning?
How Can Lead Exposure or Poisoning Happen?
- Exposure to paint chips that have flaked off (children may often eat them off the ground)
- Gardening in lead-contaminated soil (children playing in this soil might accidentally eat it)
- Accidental ingestion
How You Can Gain Control
If your home was built before the late ’70s, it’s important to know what you are dealing with and how to minimize exposure or ingestion.
- Mop floors with a wet cloth weekly to minimize inhalation of dust
- Wipe down surfaces with a wet paper towel regularly
- Soil may be contaminated, so take off your shoes before going inside
- Get your carpets and upholstery professionally cleaned
- Use an air purifier with a HEPA filter
- If you see loose paint chips or flakes, carefully pick them up with a glove and dispose of them
- Have your home tested by a professional like BC Green (especially paint and soil)
- Wash your child’s toys regularly
Are you concerned about your home being contaminated with lead? Please get in touch with us to learn more about our lead paint removal Vancouver service and have your home tested professionally. Our priority is your health.